Finally, many months and several paths later, I have finished the path that began them all. Better late than never, they say.
Slow and steady wins the race they say. The paths had to take a back seat to the flurry of Spring time maintenance, preparations and planting. As luck would have it, in the meantime I managed to get a load of, I would say heritage sandstone from a very generous family via Gumtree. A bit more work, but the results so far speak for themselves.
The post title sounds intentionally more epic than what the post actually is… did I get your attention?
My previous path work has been on hold a for a while as I wait for the winter rain that finally came to clear, and while I keep up on the other jobs in the yard such as weeding, mulching and planting out new crops and trees. I recently also had the good fortune to pickup some sandstone flagstones, which may well just find their way into the paths that have been in the making.
In the meantime, this little space has been waiting to be a path for quite a few years. As I worked my way up to it weeding, I decided that I might as well just do the job once and for all and never have to weed the space again.
Although i’m sure that no-one other than myself and perhaps my mum actually care about the landscaping (don’t get the wrong idea, she doesn’t live with me and 10 cats), I promised updates and am a little proud of how things are coming along. After a great deal of digging, measuring, levelling, drilling and what not, all that is needed is weed mat, gravel and a little planting and mulching. Not too long before I can post the pics of the final result. Just stage one of what I am sure will be many 😉
Because I don’t want to be hard at work brush cutting, and weeding, and also don’t want to be walking around in multiple feet of grass, I am putting in the hard work now of building paths and garden beds in parts of the backyard. As well as hopefully reducing some of my tedious workload, we should end up with more beds, an easier terrain to work on and, a nicer looking garden.
The location is against the south side of the northern fence line, making it one of the shadier locations in the garden. A couple of camellias in the tiered beds against the fence should increase privacy a bit, as well as, make an attractive floral display at the right time of year. The raised red gum bed now has raspberry canes in it, insurance against last years poor crops… I really do need to weed the existing bed.
This time of year, with the shorter days, it is only really a few hours on a Saturday and Sunday that I get to hit the garden, with construction being the major focus. Here is the some of the work up to now, I will update regularly as work progresses.